Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Farewell, Miles....



Miles passed away this morning, after a rapid and steady decline. He showed no signs at all of discomfort, although he disliked receiving fluids, so this last twelve hours I stopped and just spent time with him. It does seem suspicious that he died so quickly at a time when there is a food recall that causes kidney damage, but Miles doesn't eat wet food (loves his Science Diet dry)and he has had indications of kidney problems via his blood tests. He had a wonderful time living with Mark's aunt, and I wish he had gotten to John and Cary's house for a few weeks before he passed over. But he had lots of visitors this past week, and we sat together for quite a bit, just he and I. And there is nothing Miles likes so much as a lap.

I have to say, I actually have never had a cat pass away on his own. Any ill or elderly cats in my life have been so ill or uncomfortable toward the end, I have chosen to have them put down rather than suffer. But Miles showed no signs of suffering at all. I would still have likely have chosen to put him to sleep, but obviously he was ready to go on his own. He was lying in his bed that he was given for Christmas, just as I had left him after our morning time together.

Thanks, Miles. We were graced by your presence, and Colleen loved you dearly while you lived with her. May your pal Gunsmoke have many happy years in his home.

6 comments:

Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

We so sorry to hear about your loss. Miles will be sadly missed I am sure. This breaks our hearts. Condolences friend.

Tara said...

My heart goes out to you.
Tara

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Miles passed away, but it's good that it seemed so peaceful and painless for him, and wonderful that you were able to spend so much time keeping him comfortable and loved.

georg said...

:(

Parker said...

Parker's Mommy here,
First time to comment, long time reader. Miles story broke my heart. At least he went peacefully. Thanks for all the work you do - I think you are great!
Come and visit me sometime!
Parker (& Mom)

Anonymous said...

Late to comment here, but I'm so sorry to hear about Miles. I'm glad he had time with you and went peacefully.

-brina/12cats/fromaway