Saturday, February 17, 2007

Conference season begins.

Today I'm off to an Animal Behavior and Management Seminar in Binghamton. I would have shared this on the blog in case others wanted to go, but I just managed to register Friday evening (by calling the conference coordinator at home) since I hadn't been able to track down registration info earlier.

Next week I've told the guys at the NYS Wildlife Management Association I would sit registration for their conference on February 24.

On March 2nd, there's a Petfinder.com Adoption Options in Philly that I might zip down to. Adoption Options are only $10 for Petfinder.com members and $20 for non-members, so it's a deal. There is also the New Jersey Wildlife Damage Control Association seminar, but I don't think I'll make it to that, although I would really like to. It's in Atlantic City, and it would be nice to go to the wildlife control conference then also go visit the cat colonies on the Boardwalk.

On March 11 its the Community Business Showcase in Spencer from just 1pm to 4pm. Come by and visit our booth!

On March 20, the Empire State Animal Response Team is having a FREE workshop right in Ithaca at Cornell University. Anyone want to go? FREE. Can you say FREE? (i.e. No Excuse?) There are also other workshops: Syracuse on March 21, Renssalaer on April 9, Mahopac on April 11, Yaphank on April 13, and Batavia on May 16.

March 23/24 is the Animal Welfare Federation of New Jersey annual conference, and there are some great cat speakers there! I would encourage those who can get free to attend. This is always a great conference. I've gone to the last two and this will be my third. Unfortunately, I'm speaking on wildlife handling right during one of the cat presentations. Doesn't it figure!

So far, that's it for this spring. It's going to be a busy two months. At least only New Jersey is an overnighter, unless I decide to stay in Philly for the Adoption Options.

HSUS is putting on a bunch of feral cat workshops around the country, I can't make any of them, but that doesn't mean some of you can't!

I highly encourage people to attend conferences and workshop whenever they can, especially when they are low cost or free. It's not just what you learn, it's who you meet, and the networking between sessions. I can't begin to tell you what a relief it is to spend time with people who don't think you are crazy for caring about animals or the environment. Even if you sit in a corner and don't say a word, it is an experience that, in my opinion, is a necessary balm for any person interested in animal welfare.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn, I am leaving for vacation on March 21, and won't be able to attend the CU version of the local response team seminar. Bummer! Sounds like a good one, too.