Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Never blog at 1:00 am after two glasses of wine.

Just over a week ago, Mark mentioned that the neighbor's cat was hanging around. A few nights later I noticed her waiting for me at around 2:00 am when I checked the cat facility. She was standing in the middle of the road when I came out, switching her tail, a pretty orange and white longhaired girl.

And so she was the next night, when I chased her out of the road so an oncoming car would not hit her. Instead of running toward home, she ran up the driveway under Mark's car.

And there she was again, the following night.

And then, as she switched her tail at me and gave a little meow the fourth night, I suddenly (with incredible dawning remembrance) realized this cat had a tail.

The neighbor's cat does not. The neighbor's cat is a Manxy little girl.

And she was no she. This cat is a He, or so I assume with those big cheeks now that I have looked more closely at "her."

So here is our annual frost-brought Tom Cat, who has stopped his wanderings to visit our porch for Nicki's dry-food leavings. Is he a displaced Tom who traveled here on his own? Or a dumped cat? Well, he's no feral, because he meows, and hangs out within only 15 feet of me.

Sigh.

It's been a tough week for many people I know. It has been harder on other people than me, which has made my own gripes seem lighter in comparison. My own complaints become tiny things compared to other people who are truly dealing with difficulties this month. I wish I had more options of offering help.

There are times when you wish you indeed had a magic wand that could cure ills. But Harry Potter we ain't.

This orange and white fluffy cat with the switching tail appears only after 1:00 am...and is here faithfully, every night. His white fur glows in the darkness, and his fur is so light and fluffy it is like a halo around him.

He adds one more dilemma to my life.

Normally, I would consider it a big dilemma. Yet another cat. Another damned unexpected cat.

But in the larger scheme of things, he is such a little thing. Such a small problem to be solved, when others are facing more insurmountable hurdles.

So I have given him a name.

I have named him Angel.

Tonight I talked to him. He was perched in the darkness on the fence of the Cat Garden where several feline souls (and a fox or two) are buried. Switching his tail. Defying death. Being...well....a cat. He's a handsome fellow, with a story I'll never know. Not feral, when I finally set a trap for him, he'll probably push against my hands for a scritch, and follow up with a hearty swat, being a free soul.

"Angel" seems to fit him. Well, perhaps "Angel" just fit the moment, and he happened along at that moment.

I hope he brings along good luck to those who need it now. I'd like to pretend he's not just cat, because there are a few people who could use a miracle or two.

Some people could use an angel tonight.

6 comments:

georg said...

At least he isn't pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Susan,
Please remember how much joy to bring to so many souls, both human and animal. You, my friend, are the angel!

Be well and happy,

Alice

Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts your way. Hope things start looking up.
-Helena

Wildrun said...

Oh, georg, you know how to make me laugh...and you're right! I'm so glad I mostly get tom cats...

Anonymous said...

So he's "Angelo," instead? Happy Thanksgiving to a person who has educated me about the world of feral cat caretaking.

Anonymous said...

Susan,

You have been an inspiration to me. I have been reading your blog for several months now. I have been living in my house for 10 years and slowly noticed that there was a 'cat problem' on the street. People were feeding stray cats and not getting them fixed. I too started feeding them. Then I'd see a kitten smashed in the road. Kittens and cats disappeared and new ones took their places. I grabbed a full litter out of my yard one year. Another year I caught a half grown feral that my sister took in. I started calling around trying to find out what services were available for cats. None. No laws. So I started researching and trying to figure out what to do. I started talking to neighbors I never talked to for 10 years. Didn't actually do anything still talking and researching. Then last year the final straw. I found a 10 week old kitten while walking my dog that was injured. A bad cut on the bottom, broken tooth, eyes crusted shut. I took him home and to the vets. Eventually he lost his tail. Never planned to keep him I was a 'dog person'. But I did. He's not the friendliest cat to others but he loves me. So this summer I started calling/emailing/talking to everyone again. Finally my vets wife put me in touch with Judith at Feral Cat Friends. Thanks to her and some wonderful cat rescue people in N Syr I was able to get 5 fixed for free at a clinic and one by a local dr. One other was euthanised. The cat rescue folks in N Syr built me a beautiful shelter so I don't have to worry about 'my' ferals running far for shelter braving traffic and non-sympathetic neighbors for shelter. I have one 'regular' at my dishes left to be fixed. I also have had a friendly cat show up in the past couple weeks. Now I know he is a 'Frost Tom'! I've been looking for his owner but no one is looking for him. I think I've found a home for him I just have to catch him. Thanks for blogging you inspire people in ways you can't even imagine. Just knowing that there are people out there that care so much gives me motivation to keep going and grabbing new cats that show up before they turn wild. I don't feel like such a crazy cat lady just knowing there are others out there like me.

Jamie