Monday, November 13, 2006

I did it. I ordered this...


Isn't it purty? It was $489.00 (ouch!). But that included shipping, and baked powder-coated wire. It's about $200 cheaper than a similar cage I was looking at from another company. I can use it right now for the cat who is downstairs in my barn (who needs a heating pad, etc. since the downstairs of the cat facility is not heated). I can also use it as a relocation cage for barn cats, because it will fit for transport in my truck, and a cat could live in the cage with a den box comfortably for two weeks. And if I ever need a larger off-site adoption cage...there you go. It can be used for one cat (take out the recessed cat pan and there is a hole between the levels) or two.

Ultimately I would like to replace my current standard dog crates with cages like these, but they are expensive. Still, they look much nicer, they are easier to clean, kittens won't be able to squeeze out, etc. etc. etc. You get what you pay for. Here are my current cages (not a good shot):



Here is the site. Look at all these kitty condos. Give me a few thousand dollars and boy, could I have fun!

Can you imagine how much it costs to fit out a full animal shelter with cages? Talk about "ouch!"

But oh, can you imagine a nice row of these cages, both upstairs and downstairs? And all those dog crates gone? Sigh.

Some day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's exactly what I want, too -- something I could keep by my desk, with cats like Missy Mae, so she has company while she adjusts to life indoors. I could have gotten a great deal on a floor model during the SuperZoo convention, but we didn't really have any spare money at the time. You can get amazing, sub-wholesale prices on demos at conventions, though, so I'm going to try to be more prepared for next year!

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

You always do amaze me with your dedication. :)

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to get a discount from the manufacturer if you bought in bulk?

And have you thought about getting a paypal account with a donate button on your site?

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought of using the Closet Maid wire shelving and zipties to make enclosures? A co-worker found some great ideas at 7thheavencats.com and I used the site to plan and build the 3ft. wide, 6 ft high, 7 ft. long enclosure I have in my dining room by the windo and use for my foster kittens - they love it. It was less than $200 to construct and I can take it apart and store it in less than 1 hour!