Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Spotlight on...the senior cats



I realize I haven't blogged much on my old guys lately. They are all doing really well so I felt I should post them so their visitors can get a glimpse of them. Sammy especially has come around. He has put on weight and shed out his old fur. He used to just hide in his cage, but now he comes right up to the door and meows for attention, even from strangers. I usually leave the door open to his cage, like this...



...and yesterday, for the first time he jumped out on his own. Usually I have to put him on the floor to make him explore. He used to just jump up on the windowsill to ask to be put in his cage again. Slowly he began checking to place out. I was pleased to see him explore on his own and forgot that the door to the "Big Cat" room was open. Sammy strolled right in, said "Hi" to everyone there, and proceeded to munch down on their cat bowl. So it looks like Sam will soon move into the Cat Room. I'll probably put his cage in there, too, and shut him up at night, to be certain he doesn't get picked on and to make sure he gets his k/d diet.



Miles has also put on weight and his coat has grown in nice and glossy. It's very fine and has to be combed regularly, because he gets mats easily. But they come right out. He loves to sit on my lap and get petted.



Gunsmoke is also in good weight. He and Miles (as well as Sammy) had their teeth cleaned (and some pulled) but Gunsmoke has a ton of old fur that needs to come out. Russian Blues have very dense coats. Luckily Smoke likes to be combed. My own pet cat, Ivan, who is also a RB type, hates it. HATES it. BITE THAT HAND hates it. But not Gunsmoke. He put up with having this clod combed out. And I can get a clod like that out of him every day. Once it's all gone, I think he'll be fine with just a periodic combing.



I would like to announce that I managed to post this with a kitten sitting on the touch pad. I think I deserve a round of applause from those who know that is no easy feat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo of Sammy's cage -- it looks nice and comfy for him. I'm in the process of teaching one of my older dogs to sleep outside of his crate, rather than in it, so perhaps I'll have an empty crate soon.